Borrowing of data became an important service in the Telecom business, first to help and retain customers and later to make more money by the Telecom companies. It was introduced to cater for customers who may be doing something online and suddenly discovered their data has been exhausted. With the service, they can borrow, pay later and continue whatever you were doing.
The accessibility to this service is based on eligibility which differs from one network to the other. Generally, you are required to keep your line active for at least three consecutive months with airtime recharge and usage for each month. This will determine your eligibility for the service.
Please note that the service is not free on any of the networks (Glo, MTN, 9mobile and Airtel). Usually, you will be required to pay back the amount for the data with a few additional fee meant to be the extra charges.That’s the way it works across the networks in Nigeria. To borrow data on either of these networks, please find steps below;
How To Borrow Data On MTN
If you are an MTN subscriber and you wish to borrow data, it is called MTN Xtrabyte. Please follow the steps below;
- On an active MTN line, dial *606#
- From the prompt, kindly select “request for Xtrabyte”
- The next prompt will list out the different amount of data you are qualified to borrow with the respective amount. Select the amount of data you want to borrow from the list.
Once successful, you will get an SMS for the data you were credited with and the amount of money you are to pay.
How To Borrow Data On 9mobile
For 9mobile subscribers, you can borrow data, the service is called easy credit. This can be done by following the steps below;
- On an active 9mobile line, dial *665#
- From the prompt, select the option to borrow data
- Another prompt will come up containing the different data amount your line is qualified to borrow with the amount it translate to, kindly select one.
Your line will be credited with that data amount instantly and you will get SMS stating how much you are owing the network.
How To Borrow Data On Glo
For Glo customer, our own indigenous Telecom, the service that allows you to borrow data is called Glo borrow me Data. It can be accessed by following the steps below;
- On an active Glo line, kindly dial *321#
- From the prompt, please select the option to borrow data
- Next will be a prompt that list the different data amount you can borrow with their price. Please select the data amount of your choice.
Your line will be credited with the data amount instantly with SMS to notify you.
How To Borrow Data On Airtel
Borrowing data on Airtel is called DataCredit. It can be accessed in the few steps listed below;
- On an active Airtel line, please dial *500#
- From the prompt, please select the datacredit option
- Another prompt will come up to show the different data amount you are eligible to borrow with their corresponding amount, please choose one.
Once successful, there will be an instant data credit on your line with SMS notification.
For further assistance or enquiry, you may customer care for free the network. The customer care line is 180 for MTN, 121 for Glo, for Airtel, please call 111 while for 9mobile, its 200.