For an individual to have the opportunity to go and work in Canada without any particular or special job offer from any company in Canada, such person will need an open work permit. This is because it is not a job specific permit, so you are not supposed to fulfil some of the basic things that are required as other individuals that have work permits.
There are basic requirements that you won’t be fulfilling, such requirements are the Canadian labour market impact assessment (LMIA) or the proof of an offer of employment from an employer that must have paid a compliance fee. But however, this option of an open work permit is not meant for every persons.
Categories Of Open Work Permit In Canada
There are two categories of open work permits that are available, they are:
- Restricted Open Work Permit: here is the type that restrict the location or occupation of a person
- Unrestricted Open Work Permit: here is the type of permit that gives foreign persons the opportunity to work in any occupation and in any location
You should be aware that for this restricted open work permit, some persons might not be allowed or restricted from some occupations based on their conditions medically or based on location restriction depending on the category the applicant falls into. An example is an applicant that has a bridging open work permit who is also a provincial nominee may however be restricted to that particular provincial location.
The Requirements For Canadian Open Work Permit
The Canadian government have given some guideline for individual in some situations for them to be qualified for an open work permit, below are some of them.
- An international student in any of the Canadian college
- For persons who is a permanent resident in Canada and has also applied to an office in Canada
- A spouse or common law partners
- A dependent member of the family of the applicant who is a permanent resident in Canada
- A refugees or someone who is claiming a refugee whose case have not been decided or heard of.
- A young worker who happens to be a participant in some special programs, for instance, a working holiday.
- A person protected by refugee and their family relatives
- Some persons who are temporary residing in Canada
Please note that the above requirements are just basic overview of the kind of person that might be qualified for Canadian open work permit, but however, there might be other requirements a person must have to be qualified to get an open work permit. An example is if you are someone who is permanently residing in Canada and has held a position in your work place which will end before the approval of your application, you may actually get a bridging open work permit.
So irrespective of the method in which you qualify to get an open work permit in Canada, it is very important you have all your documents which should also be very accurate and any other basic requirement that will be needed for you to leave in Canada.