The benefit of getting a professionally recognized certification cannot be overemphasized especially if you are an accounting graduate, it’s not enough for you to just be an accounting graduate, it very vital to become a qualified accountant so that you will be seen as a professional in the field.
Today, we will share with you how you can become a chartered accountant in Nigeria, with all the requirement that you need to join this noble profession.
In Nigeria, we have two highly recognized accounting bodies that has been established by the Act of Parliament. They are Association of National Accountant of Nigeria and the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria. By law, it is very compulsory for an individual that has the ambition to practice as a n accountant to register and become a licensed number of any of the two professional bodies.
How To Become A Chartered Accountant In Nigeria
Please note that to become a chartered accountant in Nigeria, you will need to do the following:
- You Need To Choose The Area Of Accounting You Want To Practice
This is the first thing to do when you want to become an accountant, you need to decide on the area you intend to specialise. We have various areas of accounting which are cost accounting, tax accounting, audit, financial accounting. Government accounting, forensic accounting, management accounting etc.
READ ALSO- How To Setup Stanbic Mobile Money, The Requirement And Transactions You Can Perform
- You Will Need To Be Determined
After you must have chosen the area of account ting you want to specialize, you will need to be determined to become what you want to be. To become a chartered accountant requires hard work and if you are not determined and encouraged, you will not achieve your dream.
- You Need To Be Professionally Qualified:
A professionally recognized certificate is very necessary and will give you more advantage over others, especially when you are in a job interview. We have lot of accounting certificates that can increase the chances of you getting a better accounting job, which are CIMA, ICAN, ACCA, etc.
- You will need to have five credit passes which should include Mathematics and English language in General Certificate of Education (GCE), West African School Certificate Examination (WAEC) or Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE) which must not exceed more than two sittings.
- Another qualification requirement is the Ordinary National Diploma (OND) from any polytechnic which is recognized by the council of the accounting institute.
- Another qualification requirement is the National Certificate of Education (NCE) which must be from College of Education recognized by the institute.
- A degree from any university that is recognized by the institute
- Any other qualification that will be approved from time to time by the institute.
How To Register
- The professional examination registration fee cost ₦6000 on PAY DIRECT available at all commercial banks.
- You then continue the registration on the website on your pay direct receipt.
- Upload a scanned colored passport photograph
- You need to print your completed application form
- You need to sign on the printed form
- You need to get a chartered accountant as your referee
- You must take your completed form and your credential to your referee for proper endorsement
- Attach photocopy of all your credentials including birth certificate, bank teller and two passport photograph.