The Higher education loans board (HELB) is a foremost financier of higher education in Kenya. The institution was established in 1995 by an act of parliament to assist students who are going for higher education in a recognised educational institute by disbursing loans, scholarships and bursaries to meet the financial requirements to make their dreams of obtaining tertiary education a reality.
The institution is saddled with the responsibility of sourcing funds, establishing, managing and awarding deserving students with financial assistance to make learning easier. The loans awarded to student are repayable once students have completed their programme at a rate of 4% per annum thereby making the process a continuous one year after year.
HELB awards loans to students pursuing certificate, diploma, bachelors, and postgraduate programmes.
HELB Loan Requirements
Students applying for HELB loans are to provide the following
- Copy of National Identity card
- Valid Bank account number with a recognised bank in Kenya
- KRA pin number for first time applicants
- Particulars of parents or guardians
- Copy of letter of admission to a university/college in Kenya
- Copies of identity of two guarantors
- Three recent coloured passport photograph
Applying For HELB Loan
Loan application is usually done online; follow the procedures below to apply for loan
- Using a modern web browser Login to the website at helb.co.ke
- Click on the apply for loan tab
- Click register to create an account profile with HELB
- Enter your credentials (names, ID number, email address, password) and click sign up.
- An activation link will be sent to your email address
- Login to your email address and click on the activation link from HELB portal
- Enter your personal and residence details and click on save
- Choose the loan you wish to apply for
- After selecting a suitable loan fill the form correctly
- Go back to the homepage and click on view application history to make sure you have entered your details correctly
- Go back to the home page and click on print form to get a hard copy of the document
- Take the printed documents to your local pastor, area chief, and a lawyer who will ascertain that the information you provided are true
- Submit the form to any HELB office nearest to you
READ ALSO- Eazzy App: How To Download And Use The Mobile Banking Platform
Amounts Awarded By HELB
HELB can award a loan of up to Kshs 60,000 per year to undergraduate students and up to Kshs 150,000 for postgraduate student to train at a public university. The amount awarded is not fixed and is based on the level of applicant needs and the programme of study.
Checking For HELB Loan Disbursement Process
Loans are released before the beginning of a new academic year and students who qualify for loans will have their bank account credited before the beginning of each semester.
To check for the HELB loan disbursement
- Visit the HELB website at helb.co.ke
- Click on loan status and you will be directed to your personal portal on the website
- Click on loan report
- Click on disbursement
Repayment Of Loan Procedures
Loans are to be repaid within one year of completing academic programme, although you can make voluntary payments before you complete your programme to reduce the amount to be repaid.
Loan defaulters are penalised by adding a fine of not more than Kshs 5,000 for every month that the loan remains unpaid.
A certificate of clearance is issued to beneficiaries who have repaid their loans.
i am joining ICS college a private school _can i apply for a loan?